What does it take to be a homestay?
Thereâs no such thing as a typical homestay family. You can be single, a couple, family with children, an empty nester or retiree. Whoever you are, whatâs most important is that you are committed to the program and provide a caring home for our students.
What will your family learn by hosting a student from overseas?
Every family gets something different from the experience. There is no doubt you will all learn a lot about a new culture, food, language, customs and traditions but you will also have the chance to:
* Participate in activities and meet other host families
* Be a tourist in your own town and State as you show them around
* Make lifelong friendships with your student and their family
You will care for them and we will support you.
When you host an international student, they will become a member of your family. Your student will be a long way from home and in your care so you will be expected to provide them with a safe, supportive and welcoming home environment.
As a homestay, you will be required to provide your student with:
* a furnished bedroom inside the family home (not a separate dwelling)
* all meals
* use of utilities (i.e. water, electricity and gas)
* internet access
* use of facilities (e.g. access to TV, iron, vacuum cleaner, laundry)
You will also be expected to:
* support your student in their studies
* monitor your studentâs health and well-being
* accept duty of care for your student outside of school hours
I’m Interested, What next ?
1. Contact the school to obtain and complete a homestay application form
2. Read the Code of Conduct and Quality Service Expectations
3. Complete the online requirements for a DCSI Clearance
4. Homestay accreditation officer will complete a home visit
We look forward to hearing from you!
Birdwood High School is located in the Adelaide Hills almost 50 Km East of the Adelaide CBD.
South Australia 5234
tel: +61 (08) 8568 5100
fax: +61 (08) 8568 5222